Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Gas Explosion Injure Student At Benue Nursing School


An explosion from a gas cylinder at the Benue State Schools of Nursing and Midwifery in Makurdi has severely injured one student.



The victim, Stella Mekiah, a new student of the institution who was barely admitted a month ago is now recuperating at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) in Makurdi.

Principal of the school, Mrs. Victoria Gusa, said that the incident happened on Sunday after Mekaih returned from church and was preparing her lunch inside her hostel located at the third floor of the building.

"When the gas cooker exploded, it caught her hair and burnt down to her abdomen.  As I speak, she is at the intensive unit of the Federal Medical Centre, Apir. She lost a lot of fluid even though she talks but it is incoherent," Gusa said.

The state's acting governor, Engr. Benson Abounu, has paid a sympathy visit to the school where he frowned at students cooking right inside their hostel in the absence of a central dining hall at the institution.

Abounu added, "this is highly unacceptable."

He therefore promptly directed the state's Commissioner of Health and Human Services, Mrs. Cecilia Ojabo, to immediately tackle the abnormality.

The school had just been reopened after it was plummeted in 2013 by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN) which withdrew their accreditation on account of abysmal low standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment